Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

How do I get an application form for admission?

The application form is online at the Graduate School's website. You must complete the Graduate School online application and pay the application fee by a credit card.

What are The Graduate School and graduate program admission requirements?

The minimum credentials required for applying for admission to the Graduate School are an application form, an application fee, and official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. Conservation Biology Program requires applicants to submit a statement of career goals, a diversity statement (statement # 1 and # 2 in online application), a CV and three letters of recommendation evaluating the applicant's potential for graduate study are required. If English is not your native language, you are required to submit scores from one of the following English proficiency examinations: TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS.

What are The Graduate School English language requirements?

The Graduate School standard for English language proficiency for international students is a computer TOEFL® score of 213 (550 on the paper-based test), or 79 in Internet-based TOEFL® Test (iBT) with at least 21 in writing and 19 in reading or a MELAB score of 80, or an IELTS score of 6.5. Read more information on language requirements.

What are The Graduate School and graduate program application deadlines?

The overall Graduate School deadlines for applying are:

  • June 15 for fall semester
  • October 15 for spring semester
  • March 15 for summer session

However, application deadline for Conservation Sciences Graduate Program is December 15.

How many apply and how many are admitted to the Conservation Sciences graduate program ?

Application statistics (including average GRE scores) for past 10 years are available at this site.

What are Graduate School tuition and fees?

Latest information on tuition, mandatory student fees and health insurance cost are available at the One Stop student services site.

What type of financial aid is available and how do I apply?

The most common financial aid is through graduate program assistantships. These are usually 25% or 50% positions that require doing teaching or research under the direction of a faculty member. In addition to the assistantship salary, tuition is covered at the rate of twice the percentage of the assistantship. For example, a 50% assistant is given 100% of tuition. The University also covers up to 95% of an assistant's health insurance costs. Individual graduate programs award assistantships. Fellowships at The Graduate School and program level are also available as financial aid. The Graduate School Fellowship requires nomination by your major program.

What types of housing are available?

On-campus housing options are limited, but there are a few single rooms designated for graduate students in residence halls and apartments, and two apartment complexes for students with families. Off-campus housing in apartments and rooming houses is the popular choice for graduate students. For more information go to the Housing and Residential Life website.

What do I need to do after I arrive to Minnesota?

Check out this helpful graduate school site for information on what you need to do once you arrive in the Twin Cities.